Throughout his career Dr. Y.S.Rajan has made rich contributions in the fields of science, technology, research, space technology and business management. He currently holds and has held very senior and distinguished positions in various esteemed organizations, institutions and government departments. A few of his achievements have been mentioned out here, though the actual list would seemingly be endless.
Dr. Y.S.Rajan has long been associated with the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) and has richly contributed in several areas covering science and technology, corporate/ organization / systems / administration and financial management right from conceptual stages to planning and implementation. Several sustainable institutions and mechanisms were created by his efforts and leadership.
Held many senior positions
- Scientific Adviser to Punjab Chief Minister (Minister of State Rank) from Oct 2002 to March 2004.
- Secretary to Government of India.
- Member of a high level committee for evolving ethical guidelines on Biomedical Research involving human subjects, set up by Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) from 1996 to 2000.
- Played the lead role in completing a major exercise for Technology Vision for India up to 2020, organized by TIFAC and led by many industry leaders, technologists and administrators. Twenty-five documents were dedicated to the nation by the Prime Minister on August 2, 1996 and ultimately resulted in now famous book India 2020.
- Member of the ‘National Task Force on Information Technology and Software Development constituted under the authority of the office of the Prime Minister during the years 1998-1999.
- Chairman, Board of Directors, National Research Development Corporation (NRDC) from 2001 to 2004.
- Actively involved in evolving policies and procedures relating to adopting IPR laws in India to the post WTO/TRIP situation and also in preparing the Indian Industry and institutions to master IPR issues.
Prof. Y.S.Rajan has a wide international experience and has visited about 40 countries in all continents. He has been responsible for many cooperation agreements/projects/contracts between countries and has led several Indian delegations to UN, representing ISRO. He had a Nodal position for most international work of ISRO from 1976 to 1988. He was also a key person for India – ASEAN S&T cooperation since 1995 – 2002 and other select countries.
An expert in environmentally sound technologies, satellite meteorology mapping systems, strategic areas, security issues including dual-use technologies and Intellectual Property Rights related matters, he has done special assignment for UN organizations like UNIDO, WIPO and UNEP.
An eminent scholar and practical academician, he was visiting Professor, Anna University (remote sensing) from 1984 to 1988. He was and is an examiner for PhD thesis for a number of universities.
He is a multifaceted person and has authored several books, literary works and poetry in Tamil and English. He also plays an important role in interfaith dialogue such as Surat Spiritual Declaration Oct 2004 and its follow up actions.
During 2011 he was the lead person as the Chief Mentor of the ISRO Strategy Group, in bringing its report “The Beginning - For a New Future” June 2011.He was Vikram Sarabhai Distinguished Professor for 2011 and 2012. Later he was Hon Distinguished Professor ISRO/DOS till recently. He was Chairman, BOG, NIT Manipur from January 2011to end December 2015. He continues many of his associations and activities with CII, AICTE, IMTMA, and a number of academic institutions and also serves in many apex committees.
Delivers special talks and holds interactive sessions in colleges, schools, and universities. He is a member of Gov. Council of M S Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences (MSRUAS) Bangalore. He is in advisory body of The Jain University and also in GC of a few other universities.